Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Garden Principle

I've had several gardens over the years, but each time they're overrun by weeds, and we end up eating whatever can survive. It usually starts after the first heavy rains after planting where the ground stays wet for several days. The next time I step out there, the weeds have taken over and I can't tell the difference between them and the seedlings. So I just have to let them grow alongside each other and from there it's completely out of control.

As a side note, last year I sent a Utah friend a picture of the lush vegetation on our property. She asked, "How do you water all that?" I could hardly contain my laughter! How do we water it all? Northwest Georgia is in the middle of a rain forest. Weeds and trees grow up spontaneously here; nature takes care of our watering.

Anyway... back to my garden story. This year, I decided it would be different. Along with setting several other goals and keeping them on a slip of paper in my back pocket, I set this goal: "I choose to find it easy and fun to grow a tidy garden full of delicious tomatoes, beans, squash, cucumbers and fresh herbs."

I began by training myself to be consistent. Instead of having my husband till the garden with a tractor, I dug it myself with a shovel. It's about 40 ft by 12 ft, and I did it all by hand. No, I didn't kill myself doing it either. For a couple weeks, I went out there and dug 15 minutes here, 15 minutes there. Digging in the dirt gave me an escape from my work for a few minutes. I could look out over our property and count my blessings - truly realizing just how "rich" we are. It brightened my mind and shifted my thinking to grateful abundance. Soon, I used my garden time as a way to deal with stress, solve problems, or get some quiet time for prayer and contemplation.

In time, I'd dug the garden. Planting came next. My three younger children wanted to be involved in that. We did the majority of it in an evening, and it was quite enjoyable. Gradually, I dug a little more garden space and set out a few more plants. Because I'd developed the habit of digging in my garden, it's been easy to continue it and keep the weeds out. So here we are several weeks into the growing season and my garden is still neat and tidy.

Here are a few insights I'm learning from this garden experience.

  • First, small moves made consistently over time bring great results.
  • Second, having a picture of the end result in your mind ( in this case: a clean tidy garden full of delicious vegetables) makes it easy to work with purpose.
  • Third, my garden is symbolic of all the other goals I set at the same time. When I read them throughout the day, I remember that even though there may appear to be no "fruit" or even progress toward their outcome, they are forming and growing... just like my garden. If I give them just a little time and attention each day as I've done the garden, they'll materialize as well.


Feature Articles

Content Syndicated by www.IdeaMarketers.com

Know Your Birth Month Flowers
Birth month flowers are those flowers that over the centuries have come to represent certain months. The next time you want to send flowers, remember what month it is then consider selecting a flower that truly expresses your feelings.

Exotic flowers in the Philippines
The Philippine Islands is blessed with a wide range of beautiful flowers. Moreover, the country's list of flora includes rare species of flowers that can only be seen in tropical countries. This article discusses some of the rarest flowers in the wor

Elegant Osiana Roses
Memorizing the right special date for every important person in your life could be fussing for some of us. But thinking for the perfect gift for them is even harder. However, the apricot roses will do the trick. This article suggests of the best apri

Flower Giving in the Philippines
Nowadays, giving a bunch of flowers to a girl is no more a common practice. Moreover, giving some blossoms to a girl is rarely done since many of us find it kind of impractical. However, handing flowers to that special someone should be a habit not o

Island Rose wins an Agora Award
Island Rose wins an Agora Award for outstanding achievement in entrepreneurship from the Philippine Marketing Association. The awarding ceremony was held at the Hotel intercontinental in Manila Philippines.

Pink Roses in the Victorian Era
Flowers play an important role in the Victorian Era. With pink rose as one of the most popular flowers in that period, Victorian men and women express their feelings through this flower. This article takes us back in time and shows how flowers, parti

How the Flower Industry Works
Receiving a bouquet of fresh flowers is always a delight. But have you ever wondered how these flowers arrive at your doorstep? This article explains how the industry of flowers works and continues to bloom its way to success.


Stop! Don't Call the Florist This Thanksgiving! How to Make Your Own Holiday Centerpiece on a Budget
In this do-it-yourself era, why not learn how to arrange flowers like a pro and create your own holiday centerpieces and other festive floral arrangements? Learn something new, fun and rewarding AND save money at the same time!

Restaurant Flower Design
Serving your diners with your restaurant's scrumptious meal may be an accomplishment, but giving them a more enjoyable dining experience is another fulfillment. Adding some fresh blossoms on the dining table not only make your restaurant look chic bu

Tips for Making Your Fresh Cut Flowers Last Longer
Use these tips to keep your cut flowers looking fresh and full as long as possible.

Flower Exporters from Around the World
The largest gathering of flower exporters from around the globe is annually held at Aalsmeer flower auction. The occasion gives opportunity to wholesalers to directly buy from flower-growing countries. This article discusses the advantages of having

How to Make Your Own Flower Arrangement
Even if you're not an expert flower arranger, you can still put together a nice flower piece for your home or for your office table. For starters, how to mix colors and what kinds of flowers should be considered. This article cites some pointers on h

Sending Farm Fresh Flowers
When sending flowers to your special someone, there is no excuse but to only send the freshest bunch. The freshest and premium roses may cost more than the usual flower shop but they are definitely worth every cent you spent. This article explains wh

Thinking of You
This article contains information about sending flowers by post to your close friends and on intimate romantic occasions such as Birthday's and other special like New Year.

Talking Flowers
This article discusses the convenience of sending flowers by post to newly friends and wishes to be cherished and embraced and conveys the beautiful message and thoughtful gesture.

1 comment: